HttpWatch support for IE11 BHO / extension in Edge IE MODE

Hi Httpwatch team / Community,

Does Httpwatch support or can it be made to capture a trace in Edge IEmode?

I get the below error launching from the edge toolbar:

and the right click IE option within an IEmode tab does nothing.

Microsoft say IE Mode will support the following functionalities:

• All document modes and enterprise modes
  • ActiveX controls (such as Java or Silverlight). Note: Silverlight reaches the end of support on October 12, 2021.
  • Browser Helper Objects
  • Internet Explorer settings and group policies that affect security zone settings and Protected Mode
  • F12 developer tools for IE, when launched with IEChooser
  • Microsoft Edge extensions (Extensions that interact with the IE page content directly are not supported.)

I assume that the edge HTTPwatch extention is not allowed to interact with the page from the toolbar / Edge extention button.

but I had hoped it may have launched the IE11 HTTPwatch BHO object from the right click menu option instead.

Should this work? If so any idea’s of the required config? If it doesn’t work now is it in any roadmap to support it?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

HI Kirof,

Although Edge’s IE Mode supports Browser Helper Objects (BHO) it does not support IE extensions. The HttpWatch support for IE requires both the use of a BHO and an IE extension.

Unfortunately, this means that HttpWatch will only work in IE 11 - not Edge’s IE mode.

Thanks for the reply Httpwatch team,

This may be useful for others, what I have found in testing is that is If I set Httpwatch to automatically record / save on exit in the IE11 addin / extension it does record the Edge IEmode launched sites / sessions. I can’t open the Httpwatch window during this session / change setting on the fly but if I need to set anything specific I can change setting in an IE11 window first .

As my application flow goes back and forwards to edge native and IE mode for compatibility it does give me two sets of traces (one edge one IE11) and isn’t ideal, but works for me… and if your whole app / site runs in IEmode it isn’t a problem.

When IE11 goes EoL / gets removed in June 2022 this won’t work (probably…) but may help people work with and investigate issues in IEmode until then.

Thanks,

K

Thanks Kirof. That’s a great tip for working with Edge IE Mode!